Our monthly To Do List has always been about encouraging our peers to get out and be a part of the contemporary art community in the Bay Area. Now, we will help you do that from home… for the time being. We’ll share what inspires us; conversations with artists, curators, gallerists and other creative thinkers. New opportunities arise everyday and we’ll share our favorites with you. Check back periodically here and on Instagram @artsourceinc.
Southern Exposure‘s annual benefit auction, titled THIS MUST BE THE PLACE, will be entirely online this year. The preview exhibition begin April 11 and from April 17-25, you’ll be able bid online or via text on over 100 pieces of gorgeous artwork from some of the Bay Area’s leading new and established artists. And on the evening of Saturday, April 25, 6-11pm Southern Exposure will host an online event celebrating and supporting emerging, boundary-pushing art in the Bay Area.
Kala Art Institute‘s annual auction & exhibition recently opened and is stronger than ever this year. Bidding is open on all of the artworks via this link. This is a great opportunity to acquire Bay Area art and support an important non-profit art institution. Once you find a piece you like, follow the instructions to place a bid. Currently bidding is open until June.
The de Young Museum was forced to end the highly-acclaimed show Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power due to the shutdown. If you weren’t able to see it in person, rich on-line content focuses on connections to the Bay Area – such at the Rainbow Sign Cultural Center in Berkeley.
San Francisco’s, Catharine Clark Gallery curated an on-line exclusive exhibition for Artsy – Love in the Time of Distancing, featuring works that explore intimacy and desire in all of its joys or shortfalls… thoughtful content for our current situation.
Some of the most exciting content is virtual studio visits with artists. Reach out to galleries you love and ask if you can be invited to one or check the gallery’s instagram. We know locally that Jessica Silverman Gallery is hosting Zoom studio visits and discussions guided by curators and in New York, Salon 94 will be posting videos of artists in their studios.
Brilliant photographer, Alec Soth animates his printed project, House of Coates on his podcast Little Brown Mushroom. In this podcast, he reads the text by Brad Zellar about the photographer Lester B. Morrison on the subject of collaboration and isolation. It’s a moody story that becomes visible through Soth’s poetic reading. Also, this video about Soth’s fork in the road in his practice is one of the most beautiful and meditative expressions about the journey of an artist.
Andy Goldsworthy: Dispatch from Scotland. Andy Goldsworthy has a long history of making ephemeral work in the landscape. Like so many of us, Andy is currently at home for the foreseeable future. In the days to come, he will be sending along images of the artworks he makes near his home in rural Scotland. If you would like to receive images of the artworks he makes sign up via Haines Gallery at email@example.com.
1. Foul Play soundtrack, Help
2. Earth Wind and Fire, Drum Song
3. Brick, Living From The Mind
4. Dynamic Superiors, I Can’t Afford To Be Poor
5. Pointer Sisters, Yes We Can Can
6. Moby Grape, Changes, Circles Spinning
7. Country Joe and The Fish, Sad and Lonely Times
8. Asleep At The Wheel, Jumpin At The Woodside
9. Aislers Set, Emotional Levy
10. Heaven 17, (We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang
11. X, I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts
12. Foul Play Soundtrack, House Boat (Love Song)
13. Thelonious Monk, Introspection
14. Alice Coletrane/Pharaoh Sanders, Shiva-Loca
15. MilfordGraves/David Murray, Under and Over
16. Yoko Ono, O’Wind (Body Is the Scar of Your Mind)
17. Soiled Mattress And the Springs, Caesar’s Palace
18. Arp, Ozu
19. Tuxedo Moon, Lowlands Tone Poem
20. The Minutemen, Cohesion
21. The Clash, Rebel Waltz
22. Jackie O Motherfucker, In The Willows
23. Tarnation, Do You Fancy Me
24. Michael Hurley, Open Up
25. Vetiver, Angels’ Share
26. Psychic TV, The Orchids
27. Ethiopians, Everything Crash
28. Shirley & Lee, Let The Good Times Roll
29. Camper Van Beethoven, Ambiguity Song
30. Foul Play Soundtrack, Love Theme (Ready To Take a Chance Again)